Wednesday 18 June 2014

Bach's Two Part Inventions

I am familiar with many of J.S. Bach's Two Part Inventions, as well as his Three Part Inventions (known as Sinfonias) and his Preludes and Fugues for keyboard. Although I am well acquainted with the themes of a lot of these pieces, I wanted to have a brief look at what Bach does with the initial idea presented. For this I used my copy of his Two Part Inventions; although the Sinfonias would have more closely resembled the three part texture I will be composing for the assignment, looking at just two parts will enable me to more clearly see the relationship between the two voices, the concepts of which I can then apply to three voices. I noticed the following basic and recurring elements in Bach's Two Part Inventions:

  • States theme, imitates at same pitch in other voice
  • Restates theme in the dominant, imitates at the same pitch in different voice
  • Limited number of different rhythms
  • Sections where both voices are busy (semiquavers), but usually one less busy than the other
  • Voices often in apart by 3rds and 6th's
  • Use of all types of motion - contrary, similar, oblique
  • Both voices state melodic ideas
  • Use of long / multiple rests in one voice, especially at the beginning when the theme is being stated
  • Contrasting articulation
  • Constant movement from beginning to end

Without getting bogged down with in-depth analysis of Bach's work, I think I can use some or all of the elements above in my composition for assignment three, which will help to create unity, interest, and clean, independent melodic lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment